Thursday, November 1, 2012

Post 3: Fair Punishment?


            Let’s try to put our shoes in those of Diena Thompson, the mother of Somer Thompson. Somer was kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and murdered at the age of 7. Her body was found 2 days later in a landfill 50 miles from her home in Jacksonville. If you were Diena wouldn’t you want the worst punishment for the criminal who did this to your daughter? I know I would want capital punishment for the person who did this.
            If cases like these don’t spell out fair, then I suppose I don’t know how to spell it. The criminal, Jared Harrell, must be a sick, twisted monster, just like other pedophiles. It’s only fair for a man to be sentenced to capital punishment if he took the life of another, especially when it was obviously a first degree murder. He planned and took the necessary steps to take this innocent, young girl away from her family, touch her in inappropriate places, and then kill her. I think it’s safe to say I’m not the only person who would rather not know how she was killed.
This is one of many, many repulsive stories where the criminal deserves more than capital punishment but as society, it’s the only way we can try to make things even. If cases like these don’t spell out fair, then I suppose I don’t know how to spell it. The criminal, Jared Harrell, must be a sick, twisted monster, just like other pedophiles. I wish there were worse punishments for people like Harrell but the judicial system does the best that it can.

Celizic, Mike. "Somer’s mom: Death penalty would be ‘fair’." MSNBC. (2010): n. page. Web. 29 Oct. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment